Monday, February 28, 2011

Exit Through the Gift Shop

I think the film’s message was to expose how empty and easy street art has become. This regular guy, who is somewhat of a low life, comes from nowhere and becomes this big hit of a street artist in Los Angeles. Mr. Brainwash, also known as Thierry Guetta, becomes entwined in the world of street art through filming some of the best artists at work. By hanging out with all of these artists for so long, he picked up on how to do it. But Banksy actually says in the documentary that Thierry’s art is not really his own, looking as though he basically took ideas from the artists he hung around. If a person like Thierry was able to become this famous street artist, anyone can. Thierry makes it look like anyone can do street art.  I do feel a little skeptical by the way the film was pieced together, but I do think the film is true. I think if the film was another prank of Banksy’s that it would have been a little funnier, but I am not completely sure. Banksy has said himself that “the film’s power comes from the fact it’s all one hundred percent true”. I do think people are reading too much into the meaning. Some were even saying that Banksy created Mr. Brainwash, which I thought was a little ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment